The Founding Fathers
Welcome to The Founding Fathers. New member accounts will be activated within 24 hours after approval by the forum administrators.
The Founding Fathers
Welcome to The Founding Fathers. New member accounts will be activated within 24 hours after approval by the forum administrators.
The Founding Fathers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A home for all Bones fans

HomeHome  Portal*Portal*  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Skeleton in the Closet

Go down 
+6
RubyRuby
bonesfan158
Faye
Phoebe
geraghtyvl
joybrennan
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
joybrennan
joybrennan

The Skeleton in the Closet  Empty
PostSubject: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 2:00 am

So, my laptop is down, and I don't have access right now to "Where We Begin." However, this little scenario has been kicking around my head since "The Doctor in the Photo." What will it take for Booth to become Booth again?

Chapter 1
What If...

Booth is driving in his SUV and he is pissed. It’s 10 am and he’s called Bones three times this morning - no answer. He’s even tried Camille. Nothing. Well, fine. He can get his team to go look at this body. He doesn’t need Bones and her squint squad. He doesn’t even know why he still bothers with this partnership anymore. He has a great girlfriend, a happy son, and he is Special Agent Seeley Booth. He thinks about the hot quickie he’d had with Hannah before she left for the NATO summit in France. Yeah, he definitely does not need Bones. With that, he takes the turn-off to the crime scene. When she starts complaining about compromised remains, he will enjoy reminding her that if she’d picked up her phone it wouldn’t have happened.

It’s now 1pm. His guys have bagged and tagged everything. Taken pictures, etc. He’s having the entire mess sent to the Jeffersonian. He’s trying not to wonder about the small skeleton: It had been found in a closest of this foreclosed mansion - locked up in an old traveler’s chest. It had to be a child, a toddler... The gravedigger is in jail, and besides, she’d never dealt with children so young... babies. He thinks about her threat about someone worse than her, but shakes it off. God knows there are enough psycho-killers out there. They don’t all have to be connected. He glances down at his phone. Nothing. No messages, no texts. What the hell? He decides to drive over there. She’s probably buried in limbo, oblivious to the time. However, that doesn’t explain Camille. She’d call him back. Yeah, they haven’t spoken much in a while, but still...

“What if something’s happened?” That tiny prick of conscious whispers to him. Booth quickly brushes it off. "Come on, Booth, nothing’s happened." Bones has been avoiding him since that night in the rain. That night when - well, it doesn’t matter. It’s not even something he needs to think about. She is not like that doctor, and he isn't that guy. Anyway, she's been her normal, annoying self since then - aside from the avoidance stuff, and frankly, until today, he hasn't minded it. Not at all. He hasn't mentioned the situation to Hannah, or anyone else for that matter. "Too little, too late, little Miss Mortisha," he chuckles to himself, "I've got my golden Barbie now." What the hell had he been thinking back then? This little stunt of not picking up the phone was just more avoidance crap. Hell, for all he knew, she may have run off to Zimbabwe or some other mixed up, war-torn country. Whatever.

The first thing he notices when he enters the lab is how quiet it is. The only person on the platform is Wendall. He appears to piecing together some very clean bones. He slides his card through the reader and heads up.

“Hey, Wendall! I see they’ve got you doing all the work around here today. Where the heck is everyone?”

Wendall, turns slowly to look at him. His eyes are red, and he quickly brushes away a tear. “Shit.” thinks Booth, “Something is wrong.” A cold chill runs down his spine.

“Wendall, what’s going on? I tried calling Dr. Brennan this morning...”

At the words “Dr. Brennan” Wendall’s eyes well up with tears again and he turns away from Booth. That chill spreads through the rest of Booth’s body. He steps closer to the man. “Wendall, what. is. going. on?”

“There was an accident this morning...Dr. Saroyan got this call from the hospital.”

“What hospital?”

“George Washington.”

“When?”

“Around 10. She shut down the lab for the day...”

This is bad. Camille shut down the lab? This morning?

“...the guy was drunk, hit her dead on...”

Booth clicks back into the conversation, “Dr. Brennan was hit by a drunk driver this morning?”

“Yes.”

Wendall’s tears, the lab shut down...”Did she survive the crash?”

Wendall is silent a moment.

“WENDALL! DID SHE - “

“She was still alive when the hospital called...they weren’t sure...”

Booth turns on his heel and runs down the stairs, out of the lab. Bones . Car crash. Barely alive. This morning. Rain, tears, “I missed my chance.”

“No, Bones. No, you didn’t.”

He’s unaware of saying the words aloud, nor of the tears streaming down his face as he climbs into his vehicle. Soon he is speeding down the street, siren blaring, heading towards G.W. Hospital.

Last edited by joybrennan on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
geraghtyvl
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
geraghtyvl

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 2:33 am

Can't wait for the next chapter!
Back to top Go down
Phoebe
Entomologist
Entomologist
Phoebe

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 9:33 pm

You've got my attention. Good start.
Back to top Go down
joybrennan
joybrennan

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Chapter 2
Broken Bones
Booth knows he probably scared the admittance staff when he stormed in demanding to know where Dr. Temperance Brennan was. As they started with the runaround he'd flashed his FBI badge and made it very clear that if her whereabouts weren't immediately released to him they would be charged with obstruction of justice.

Now, he's standing in the elevator. It's 2pm and she'd been brought in at 8:46am. The Jeffersonian had been called because the paramedics found her lab id card on her. That probably put the call in to Camille at at around 9:20am. "Which means between 9:20 this morning and now... " The elevator doors opened and he could see them: Cam, Angela & Hodgins, even Sweets. No one has bothered to call him.

He walks slowly towards them. Cam sees him first. Her eyes widen in surprise and it feels like a stab in the heart. Even Camille thought he wouldn't care..."but why would she think otherwise, Booth?" The tiny voice in his head wouldn't let him off the hook. "You've spent months making sure everyone knew that you were over Bones. You cut the squints out of your life. You even missed Jack & Angela's big baby announcement." He'd said some mean things, too. Not to Bones, but about her: to Caroline, Hannah, even to other agents - when her communication skills were less than perfect. He'd been silent when agents suggested that she needed a good lay to sweeten her disposition. He feels the bile swirling in his stomach. By the time he is close enough to say anything, the desire to confront the lack of communication has vanished. Angela is asleep against Hodgins shoulder, her tear-stained face belied the comfortable appearance. Sweets is leaned back against the wall, eyes closed. Cam rises to greet him.

"Booth..."

"I stopped by the lab. Wendall told me."

"I'm sorry, it just didn't -"

"- occur to you to call me. I got that...I deserve it."

"Booth -"

"How, how is she?"

He watches as Cam looks away from him. "We don't know."

He could have let it go, but he's known Camille way too long to let her get away with the safe answer. He touches her arm, willing her to look at him, when she does, he gets straight to the point.

"What do you know?"

Cam sighs, and wills the tears to stay back.

"You'd better come sit down."

She leads him across the waiting room - away from the squints.

"It's bad. She came in with severe hypovolemic shock, massive internal bleeding - they didn't know from exactly where - a punctured lung, four broken ribs, a fractured pelvic bone, a broken femur, and some head trauma. She's had two blood transfusions, and she went into surgery about five minutes after we got here. That's all I know."

Each statement feels like a punch in the gut. Camille's an ex-cop, a doctor, a coroner...she knows the mess she's describing. Booth suspects Jack would also if he heard it. They know the odds of -

"No news is good news, Booth. The longer she's in the better chance that they're cleaning up the mess."

Booth is looking right through her, and she don't know if he's heard what she's said. He is crying, but in that stoic Booth fashion. Tears just fall, unacknowledged; there is no whimper or cry out. His hands grip the arm rests of the chair until his knuckles are white. Cam has known him for nearly twenty years now, a cocky young army solider when she had just graduated the academy out of high school, but she has never seen him quite like this, not even when he came back from Kosovo.

"I wanted to be over her."

"Don't do this, Booth."

"I know why you didn't think to call, Cam. I've been a real loser lately, avoiding the lab, snapping at B -"

Cam grabs his shoulders and shakes him.

"Booth, STOP IT! This isn't about you. It's about Dr. Brennan making it off that table alive and being here to help her if she does. There will be plenty of time to discuss the ways you've been a complete s.o.b. at a later date."

Cam's words are sharp, but by the end of them she's smiling - and Booth is too, a tiny upturn at the corners of his lips. Sometimes he needs to be shocked into seeing things. Like today.

"What the hell is HE doing here!"

Angela's voice booms across the room. Talk about timing. Booth's eyes turn to the floor as Angela and her baby bump get up and storm over to Cam and Booth.

"After EVERYTHING, Seeley - and believe me, I KNOW everything - you have the nerve to show up here? Like, really? Why? Why bother to pretend to care about her now? Why don't you -"

"Dr. Saroyan?"

Angela stops mid-sentence as a doctor calls for Cam. She walks over quickly, motioning for the others to stay put.

"Yes, that's me."

"Well, she's made through this initial surgery. We were able to remove the spleen and a part of the liver to clear the blood from the peritoneum cavity. However, there were several bleeders surrounding the pelvic fracture which continued to leak blood, causing the need for the second transfusion. Simultaneously, Dr. Franklin was working to reduce the brain pressure from the epidural hemotona - which was successful. Finally the blood flow from the femur break was addressed and the bone was set. We've induced a chemical coma to give the body minimal activity in order to facilitate healing. She will, of course be on a ventilator as the lung puncture needs time to heal...We will be monitoring her very closely for the next 72 hours in the intensive care unit."

"Can we see her?"

Booth's quiet voice startles Cam. She hadn't realized he had followed her, with Angela close behind. She wonders how much they've heard. She glances over at Hodgins, only to realize he's already walking towards them. Only Sweets is just blinking awake.

"In about a hour. We need to get her down into intensive care first, and then just for a few minutes."

Booth just nods.

"Thank you, Dr. Meyers." Cam's eyes are shiny as she speaks.

"I'll come back when you can go see her."

With that the doctor turns and leaves. Before anyone can say another word, Angela glares at Booth.

"He is not seeing her."

Hodgins hand rests on her waist. "Honey, calm down, it's -"

" She needs to rest, be peaceful. Hearing his voice will not be peaceful for her."

"Then I won't speak."

With that, Booth walks back across the room. He sits down in the same chair as before - away from everyone else. Jack holds Angela back with a whispered, "not now, Ang," and manages to get her to go sit down with him.

Cam looks across the room. Booth is sitting, head bowed, seemingly staring at the floor. She wonders if he's in prayer. From the corner of her eye she sees Sweets move as if to go try and talk to Booth. She quells him with a single look and he heads towards the men's room instead.

Booth wonders how he let things get so far. Hannah had been a fun fling. A pretty blond to keep his mind off of the woman who hadn't called or even written. He'd been angry, bitter. She'd looked so...hopeful at the airport. She looked like she wanted whatever was driving her to leave to bring her back to him. Like she WANTED things between them to work out. Then, there was just...silence. Silence and guns firing. Teaching young guys to think in terms of targets and not people when they were shooting. A skill he wished to God he didn't have. When they told him to keep an eye on the pretty blond reporter it was a welcome diversion. When she'd said she'd like to thank him for rescuing her the last thing he'd expected was to have her drop to her knees and suck him off. It was hard not to like a girl like that. Then he came home and saw Bones again. She'd been so HAPPY to see him - and it had infuriated him.

He should have caught it that day on the steps. Her "no" had been incredulous when he'd asked if she met anyone. She'd paused before asking if he had. "And you loved shoving Hannah's picture in her face." He knew he'd never see the woman again, but he'd made it seem like he would...and then he'd made that mean comment about Bones to Caroline and she'd laughed...

"I guess that's when it started." he thinks.

It became easier to dismiss her then, easier to say she wasn't anything to him but the woman he worked with. Especially when Hannah showed up and asked to move in. He started staying further and further away from them all. He and Bones were always at odds, yet her and Hannah seemed to be fine with each other. Fine, until that night in the rain. Booth told himself he was following her because he didn't want his partner to get herself killed. Like it or not, Bones was why he had the highest solved ratio at the bureau. He wasn't about to lose that because just because the woman was a bit weird.

He'd believed every word he said that night. Sure he'd felt some pity for her, but he wanted it to be damn clear that SHE had blown it. She'd humiliated him that night, even though he took back the offer quickly so it wouldn't seem like it was a big deal. He'd taken it back and made sure she knew he wouldn't be waiting around for her. Yeah, that night, he sure showed her. He even started toying with idea of marrying Hannah... No wonder no one thought he'd care about...today. Anyone who had observed him over the last few months saw a guy who dumped all his friends for this new love in his life. They believed it because he'd convinced himself that Bones meant nothing to him. Now he is facing the possibility of there being nothing of her in his life - and life in general - at all.

Booth chokes back a sob and runs to the men's room. Even with the door closed, everyone in the waiting room can hear him throwing up.

Last edited by joybrennan on Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:04 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : typos - no beta :D)
Back to top Go down
geraghtyvl
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
geraghtyvl

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Really good Joy....
Back to top Go down
joybrennan
joybrennan

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks! I think when the show gets screwed up my brain starts trying to fix what's not working. I mean, I wasn't coming up with fan fiction ideas when the show was enjoyable to watch and good . Razz Right now, even more than the blond, Booth's been the most WTH to me. blonde is a flat character with no point other than looking hot and screwable. She does it well. Booth has been written as if his behavior is normal and in character - which makes no sense to me. I don't think it makes sense to him either...we shall see. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Faye
Special Agent
Special Agent
Faye

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 6:34 am

It's a very good story!!!I'm waiting for the next chapter!!! rosyglasses this hiatus is driving me crazy squee
Back to top Go down
bonesfan158
Assistant
Assistant
bonesfan158

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 3:22 pm

excellent!! Keep going...please
Back to top Go down
joybrennan
joybrennan

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 2:43 am

Chapter 3
If Only...
When Booth staggers out the stall, Sweets is standing right there.

"Christ, kid, you mind if I go wash my hands?"

"You just threw up."

"Yeah. Glad to know those degrees of yours are so useful."

Booth pushs past Sweets to the row of sinks to wash his hands. Sweets follows him.

"Are you sick with some kind of virus? Because, if you are, you shouldn't -"

" -I'm not sick, Sweets! Now, leave me alone!"

"Then your reaction must be caused by some kind of emotional distress."

Booth turns, and the fury on his face has Sweets take a step back. Booth's voice is low and dangerous, but gets increasing louder as he speaks.

"Are you trying to shrink me? Now? Or are you just here to say 'I told you so.' Fine. Yes. I'm in emotional distress. Yes. You were right, I never stopped loving her. But, you, YOU, and your stupid shrink talk is what started this mess in the first place! If YOU hadn't been pushing me to be the gambler, to take a chance, I would have kept my mouth shut and WAITED, which is what Gordon said! I would -"

"You're right."

Booth is stunned into silence by Sweets quiet admission.

"I got too emeshed in your lives. I didn't take my own trauma on the train into account, and transfered my issues of risk-taking to you."

Sweets can't quite look Booth in the eyes and is tearing up as he speaks.

"I didn't know how to fix it. I knew something had gone down. I could see you were in some kind of denial, but didn't know why...until Dr. Brennan came to see me a couple of weeks ago."

He manages to finally meet Booth's eyes. "I'm sorry, Booth, if only I -"

"Forget about it kid." Booth's rage dissipates as quickly as it came.

"I'd never taken your advice before, don't know why I suddenly thought is was a good idea."

"I do."

What?"

"I know why. And it is my fault. I triggered you."

Booth laughs. "Triggered me?" Sweets, I'm not a gun, I just carry -

"Your gambling addiction. I triggered it. I KNOW better than to use the language of a client's addictive behavior to make a thereputic point. I didn't even THINK about it until Dr. Brennan relayed the conversation."

His gambling addiction? Booth stares at Sweets a long moment. His gambling addiction. The conversation of that night replays through his head. The kid is right. He can't even remember the last time he went to a GA meeting, a couple of years, maybe more. He didn't even recognize the terminology when Sweets used it. Which means...

"It's really not your fault, kid. You didn't hold a gun to my head when you make your suggestion." Eyes tearing up, he clasps Sweets shoulder, "The most important thing now is that she make it through this. She's got to make it through this."

Sweets nods "Yeah. That's all that matters."

As they exit the men's room they nearly run into Hodgins.

"Whoa! Dude!"

Hodgins looks sheepish. "Sorry, man. Cam just told me to get my butt in here to make sure Booth hadn't killed you."

All three men chuckle, but Booth feels a pang of saddness. He's missed these guys, missed the camraderie, the 'boys against the girls' bonding, the caring...He's unaware that he's drifted into his own thoughts until Hodgins touches his arm.

"Hey, Booth...you ok?"

Booth blinks back to the present and looks at them both.

"No. I don't think I've been ok for a long time."

Hodgins nods. "Yeah...it happens."

There's a moment of awkward silence.

"Well, I'm gonna get Ang some apple juice and crackers from the cafeteria. You guys want anything?"

"Agent Booth here could probably use the same thing -or not."

Booth smiles inwardly. It's still so easy to scare the kid with just a look. Still, he might have a point; his mouth does taste kind of gross. He pulls out his wallet.

"Grab me a sprite if they've got it."

He hands Hodgins a few dollars, "The kid here will take a root-beer."

"Hey!"

Booth turns to look at Sweets, "What, you no longer like root-beer?"

"Yes, I like root-beer, but -"

"I'm outta here." says Hodgins with a laugh.

Across the room, Angela is sitting with Cam and glaring at Booth.

"He's acting like he belongs here.

"He does, Angela."

"How can you say that? He's been -"

"Relationships are complicated, he and Dr. Brennan are -"

"Don't say another word, Cam."

Angela's voice is like steel, but her eyes are tearing as she moves to get up.

"Brennan is in there fighting for her life, so don't you dare say anything, ANYTHING, about her being complicated, or weird, or ANYTHING! She has more heart than ALL of us, and he just -"

"You're right, Ang."

Neither woman had seen Booth approaching them.

"She has more heart than anyone and she'd do anything for me -no matter how much it hurt her."

"You're damn right!"

"I wish she knew just how great she is, how big and open a heart...she has. I wish I'd remembered the truth about her and how hard it is for her to believe it."

"Booth, you couldn't remember those things about her because you can't remember those things about yourself."

Cam's quiet statement startles them both with its truth. Angela recovers first.

"This isn't about him, it's about Brennan! He should have never gone there if -"

" - and he wouldn't have if it weren't for me." Sweets cuts in.

Sweets has been quietly following the conversation, and could see the situation needed to be halted.

"So, if you want to blame someone, blame me. I certainly do. Every day for the last two weeks I've been thinking, 'if only I hadn't said it that way, if only I'd been more aware of my own trauma.' Booth, he's been kicking himself with 'If only I'd been more patient.' And I'm sure we all are thinking some form of 'if only' about Dr. Brennan's accident; 'if only she'd come in later, or earlier. If only the guy wasn't drunk.' The reality is, none of those things happened, and wishing isn't going to change anything. All it does is keep us from being present for what's happening right now. Dr. Brennan is fighting for her life, Angela. Don't you think she should have all the good vibes she can get?"

As Angela slowly nods, Cam smiles. It's moments like this that help her believe that Lance Sweets does, in fact, have two doctorates.

Back to top Go down
geraghtyvl
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
geraghtyvl

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 2:11 am

Thanks Joy...a great chapter before going to sleep! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
joybrennan
joybrennan

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 2:38 am

Chapter 4
Answers & Questions

Angela knows Sweets is right. Bren needs every good vibe and prayer available. Still the memory of Brennan, eyes red from crying, clothes still wet...

She wouldn't even had known, but after the day in the lab she'd taken it upon herself to check in on her. After two unanswered phone calls she insisted on going over to Brennan's - "just to make sure." Hodgins almost came with her and only relented when she'd promised to call him when she arrived.

That night she heard everything. It had been a bit of a shock. Yeah, she'd known Bren was stressed out when she left, noticed there was something slightly off about Booth and Brennan's relationship. It hadn't surprised her when Bren told her she had to figure out her relationship with Booth, nor when she'd said that in Maluka she'd realized that she was, in fact, in love with Booth. Angela had sensed some new awareness in her friend, despite Brennan's denial at the time.

When Hannah came to town, she'd felt bad for Bren, but since Brennan seemed to be taking it well, she went along with it. Even when she'd noticed Booth being less than kind to Bren.

She hadn't understood Booth's behavior until that night, and then Angela's inner rage exploded. Booth must have been out of his mind! He tells Brennan out of nowhere that he'd like to try having a romantic relationship with Bren, to "give it a shot," followed by talk of couples being together for 40, 50 years.

Yeah, right, he was "that guy." Clearly he'd been talking out his ass since 30 seconds later he'd rescinded his offer. At the time she'd snorted and mumbled, "I've had guys work harder to get me to go. to the movies." At that, Brennan started crying again, and Angela had held her as she sobbed, and Angela hated him. Hated him for opening a door and expecting Brennan to run through, for making her think about leaving her safe world and start to wonder if she could be enough, love enough. She'd thought Booth had been the one other person who got Bren the way she did. Clearly, she'd been wrong.

Sweets is still talking, something about how they all just cared deeply fot Dr. Brennan. Angela fixes her eyes on Booth.

"I don't know if that's why Booth is here, Sweets. Maybe he just feels guilty for throwing her away."

Cam and Sweets are shocked by her words, while Booth looks like he's been slapped. Yet, he's the one who answers.

"Guilty can't begin to cover how I feel Ang. Guilty, shameful, STUPID. There aren't words that can come close...and if all I can do is be here and pray, no BEG, God not to take her from us, even if she never speaks to me again, then I'm going to do that."

Angela and Booth stare at each other.

"Hey guys I got your..." Hodgins looks at the tense group as he takes in Booth and his wife staring each other down.

"Honey, what's going on?" Hodgins cautiously.

Angela turns her eyes briefly to Sweets. "I guess his vibes are alright."

Booth nods slightly, "Your a good friend - Bones is lucky -"

"No. I'm lucky."

With that she turns to her husband, grabs the apple juice from Hodgins and goes to sit down as far away from Booth as she can. Hodgins hands the guys their drinks and follows her.

"Ang, what did I just walk in on back there?"

"Nothing. Why?"

Hodgins' eyes narrow. His wife didn't look at him when she answered, and is demurely sipping her apple juice.

"Ang, I know I'm just a squinty scientist, but even I can tell it was not 'nothing.' What was that comment about Booth's vibes for?"

Angela stops sipping her juice to look at her husband.

"Jack, it was nothing. Sweets said we were all here because we cared about Brennan and that she needs all the good vibes around her. I just asked Booth if that's why he was here, because he 'cares' ?"

She spits the last word out viciously. Jack eyes grow darker.

"Tell me you really didn't say that."

"No, actually, I think I asked him if he was here out of guilt."

"You know Ang, sometimes you -"

"- you don't know the story Jack, so -"

"- Well, neither do you! You only know what Brennan tells you!"

"Then why did he basically say I was right?"

"Maybe because he is hurting, Angela! Just because two people fight doesn't mean they don't love each other."

"He GAVE UP ON HER, Jack, and -"

"Well, you gave up on me, but, you say you never stopped loving me! Was that impossible? Were you lying? I mean, obviously, I still loved you!"

The room is sudden silent as they both realize they'd started shouting. Angela's eyes fill with tears, even as her voice is like ice.

" 'Loved,' Jack?"

Sweets, who has been trying to get Booth to elaborate more on his feelings, turns at the raised voices.

"Aw, hell, now what? Excuse me a moment, Agent Booth."

As soon as Sweets is out of earshot, Cam scoots over to Booth.

"Seeley, what's going on? Why would you say those things about -"

"Because it's how I feel, Cam. " He puts his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands.

"I should have known better. I should have realized..."

Cam is worried. She, of course, had noticed Booth and Brennan were pretty estranged. She'd heard some of the snide comments he'd made to her, his sudden lack of patience. Honestly, she'd figured Dr. Brennan must have done something, because she never commented on his remarks, and was nice to Hannah. She'd assumed Brennan was trying to get back into his good graces.

"Realized what, Booth?"

He takes a long moment before sitting up and looking Cam in the eyes.

"Remember after my brain tumor when I told you I loved her?"

"Yes."

"Do you remember what you told me?"

Cam's eyes widen as she remembers, "Oh...Booth..."

"I didn't take your advice. I opened the door and when she didn't walk across fast enough I slammed it shut. I think I gave her about a minute to decide."

"She turned you down."

"Yeah. She was scared, and I was too. I hadn't thought it out, just took a roll of the dice."

Cam notices the gambling analogy, but ignores it.

"Booth...this was before you left, wasn't it?"

"Yeah."

Cam closes her eyes briefly. There were many questions she could ask, but really, only one mattered.

"Are you still in love with her?"

Booth's head falls into his hands, "Yeah...but I...it's too late..."

"It's never too late, Booth."

"If she dies, Camille -"

Cam puts as much belief and authority into her next words as she can. Right now it's what Booth needs to hear. As she speaks though, she offers a silent prayer, "Please, God, let these words be true."

"She's not going to die, Booth. Not with all of us pulling for her."

Last edited by joybrennan on Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because writing on a cell phone ain't easy! :D)
Back to top Go down
joybrennan
joybrennan

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 3:15 am

geraghtyvl wrote:
Thanks Joy...a great chapter before going to sleep! Very Happy

Thanks! Although, I think you read the Beta of the Beta, as it accidently posted before my final passes - and
I didn't know it had. Very Happy. It's cleaned up a lot now. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RubyRuby
Administrator
RubyRuby

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 pm

Awesomely done woman!!!! Brinng on the next chapter.
Back to top Go down
joybrennan
joybrennan

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 2:27 am

Funny how writing works... I thought this chapter would be longer, then realized what comes next (and I do know what comes next) needs to be its own separate chapter. So, here's a bit more for now.

Oh, I need to state the obvious: I don't own any of these characters. They belong to Hart Hanson and FOX.

Chapter Five
Reality Bites

Sweets couldn't believe the mess this day had become. The morning had been a sweet romp with Daisy. He had no clue what exactly they were doing in terms of a relationship, but these causal stop by, watch a movie, have crazy sex occasions were definitely enjoyable. They'd gone into the Jeffersonian separately - to avoid questions. That was his last moment of peace.

He'd had an appointment with Cam to discuss how Dr. Brennan was doing since her melt-down last month. Thus, he'd been sitting in her office when the hospital called her. He'd rushed to the hospital, not giving Daisy a thought, but the implications of that could be dealt with later. All that mattered was Dr. Brennan.

Psychology, the so-called 'soft science' told him that accident victims suffering from extreme trauma, could hear the voices and feel the sensibilities around them. Hence doctors were now warned of speaking negatively about a patient's chances while operating. He wanted to be there for her as they worked to save her life. He didn't want her to feel alone.

Angela and Hodgins got there about forty minutes after he did, Cam an hour. It didn't matter because he had been there outside of triage chanting silently, "come on, Dr. Brennan, you can do it," when she'd stopped breathing and they shocked her heart, as they poured blood into her that seemed to be going right out again, as they pulled a slice of metal from her thigh. He'd been there to squeeze her too cold hand as they wheeled her away to surgery, there to say, "You are loved Dr. Brennan, so many people love you." The nurse had given him a pitying look as they wheeled her away, and he'd bristled, wanting to yell at the woman. He didn't need pity, because Dr. Brennan would pull through.

He'd filled the others in on what he knew, and Cam had gone with her medical degree and Jeffersion credentials and gotten complete info on Dr. Brennan's condition. Angela had gotten hysterical and it took him and Hodgins to calm her down. Then they just sat. One hour became two...and then Agent Booth had arrived and all hell broke out.

Sweets knew his objectivity was compromised in this situation. He knew that he blamed himself for Dr. Brennan's aloneness, for pushing his own agenda and ripping the butterfly out of its cocoon. Yet, for just a moment, he'd felt the same contempt for Booth that Angela did. That was until he'd gotten a good look at the complete despair on Booth's face. For the first time he thought that maybe, in spite of his rash actions, the butterfly hadn't died.

Angela, seeing a target to focus her grief and fear, had lit into Booth immediately. Then Booth had started falling apart. After stabilizing him, Angela had started up with Booth again. He'd help defuse that situation, but now Angela and HODGINS were going at it. Sweets turned, saw them, and, very quietly, snapped.

"What the hell is wrong with you two! Huh? What? What could possibly be SO important that you can be fighting while Dr. Brennan is currently fighting for her life? I understand the psychological desire to distract yourselves from the circumstances, but seriously? COME ON! Angela, do you think yelling at your husband, or Booth, or ANYONE, is sending Dr. Brennan positive energy? Does -"

"Uh, dude?" Hodgins spoke calmly to the now red-faced Sweets.

"What!"

"You're yelling."

Sweets eyes widen with embarrassment.

"Oh my gosh, I am SO sorry. I just -"

"Lost it for a minute?" Angela raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah."

"It happens." Hodgins replies, a small smirk crossing his lips.

"But, you are right. Nothing is more important than Bren."

Angela narrows her eyes at her husband, "Anything else can be dealt with later."

Cam watches Sweets lose his cool, only to then have to sweat it out with Hodgins, and then looks at Booth.

"You know, Sweets is right about keeping positive, Booth. You can't dwell on what's gone on. She just needs to feel you're here for her now...that there's something to come back to."

"The way she did for me."

"Exactly." Cam's pleased emphatic response fades away as she watches Booth blink back tears. "Damn," she thinks, "not the best thing to have brought up Camille."

It had seemed so real, the story Bones made up and read to him. A love story about them, but not. It was a different time, a different place, doing different things, and yet somehow the same. They'd been married, but still work partners. The images flash before his eyes. They'd made love...

"Do you love me" she'd whispered, straddling his body, blue wishful eyes staring down at him...

"My God. Bones..." He whispers to himself as the reality hits him. She had started the story in his head, and in it she had loved him - but doubted he could truly love her, feared he'd see her as cold and unfeeling... Her blue eyes had been teasing, but not when she spoke. She'd been afraid to admit she wanted him, but in the dream he had known... Nearly two years ago Bones had written a story where she was in love with him and desired him. He'd been so confused and wondering about his feelings that he'd missed the other implications. Nearly two years ago... She'd been in love with him even then.

Once again Booth's elbows are on his knees, his hands covering his face. Cam quietly gets up to give him his privacy while he cries.

Last edited by joybrennan on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
geraghtyvl
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
geraghtyvl

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 2:58 am

You're killing me Joy.... The Skeleton in the Closet  784358 Can't wait for the next chapter!
Back to top Go down
joybrennan
joybrennan

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Chapter 6
In God We Trust
When Booth finally looks up he sees Camille has moved a few seats down. Hodgins and Sweets are exactly where they'd been before, but Angela is nowhere to be seen. He pulls his handkerchief out and wipes his face. Cam, Angela, Hodgins, Sweets and himself... With a start he gets up and walks over to Camille.

"Did anyone call Max?"

Cam looks at him a moment before sighing.

"I didn't have any contact information on him. I thought perhaps he didn't have any."

Booth breathes in at yet another reminder of how close he and Bones had been, how much she'd entrusted to him.

"He wouldn't give it to Bones. He didn't want her to be in another compromising position."

Despite the situation Cam finds herself smiling.

"You mean he didn't want Dr. Brennan to have another chance to turn him in if something else came up from his history."

Booth smiles back, "Yeah, pretty much...Russ knows how to contact him - and I have his number."

Cam nods soberly. Neither of them can say anything, refusing to voice the thought of what Max would do if his daughter didn't make it and he was unable to say goodbye - again.

"Where's Angela?"

Cam shrugs. "Don't know. She just got up and left."

Sighing, Booth nods and hopes he doesn't run into her while making this call. He walks out to the corridor, leans against the wall, and dials. Russ picks up on the third ring.

"What's up, Booth?"

Booth hears the wariness in Russ's voice. Can't blame him. He doesn't think he's ever called the guy unless there was trouble.

"Bones was in a car accident and -"

"What! when? How is she."

"She's alive, but it, it was a really bad accident. Max...both of you, should get up to D.C. as soon as possible."

Booth's voice breaks on "as possible."

"What hospital?" Russ's voice is strangely calm, almost monotone. It dawns on him that his response is one he'd expect from Bones.

"George Washington."

"Okay. Dad will be there in an hour or so. I'm getting on the next flight up."

Before Booth can say anything, Russ has hung up.

He's not ready to go back in the waiting room. Maybe a visit to the cafeteria...he has no appetite, but it is better than staring at the waiting room walls or pacing the corridor. He follows the signs pointing to the hospital's cafeteria. He turns the corner and starts walking down the hall leading to the correct elevator bank, when another sign catches his attention.

"Chapel." The word is written in gold lettering on a square brown plaque. There's a gold cross above the word, and a stained glass window with Jesus on a green hill with a bright blue sky. He's surrounded by happy children. Without thought, he opens the plain wooden door and walks in.

There are a few people scattered around the room. A young African-American couple catch his attention first. Her head is against his chest and her muffled crying seems loud in the otherwise silent room. Near the front an older women with silver-blond hair is kneeling in prayer, back straight, head bowed. Then he sees Angela.

She is sitting near the back, eyes seeming focused on the simple large wooden cross behind the altar in the front. He can't see her face to be sure. He hesitates a moment. The last thing he wants to do is cause another scene. Yet, there is something, something in this quiet space that calls him to go over to her. She is Brennan's best friend, the closest link to Bones herself. He sits down in the pew with her, leaving a respectful distance of space between them.

Minutes tick by. It's not an uncomfortable silence. He isn't even sure that she's aware he's there.

"She's still in love with you."

Booth is startled by her voice, and then by her words. He doesn't know what to say to that. His first thought is defensive; she never said that, not to me. His second hits him hard, another punch in the gut. She'd regretted not saying yes to what he'd offered that night, but he'd never said the words to her either. His, oh, so literal Bones, who needs everything spelled out. He'd said everything but. If he was so quick to defend himself with, "she didn't say it," what must SHE have thought that night after Sweets? And how must she have felt hearing him state so clearly that loved Hannah?

He is out of tears at this point. There's just this horrible feeling in his stomach and a coldness that runs through his body.

"I don't deserve it."

Angela hears Booth's whispered reply and nods.

"No, you don't."

She turns and looks at him.

"But, maybe I didn't deserve Jack either."

Booth meets her eyes, and tries to read her mood. She arches a brow.

"I never did to Jack what you've done with Bren. I never acted like I found his very presence annoying."

She pauses and her eyes flicker away as she bites her lip in a way remarkably similar to the way Bones does when she's nervous or confused. He senses there's a 'but' coming.

"I wasn't in love with Wendell, and I never insinuated to Jack that I was, but Jack...he saw us together all the time. He saw us kiss, he knew when I slipped away with Wendall. I knew he wasn't okay with it - no matter what he said... So, maybe, maybe I was mad and hurt when Jack said he wouldn't sleep with me. Maybe he didn't get that asking him to was my way of asking if we could try again."

"So...you hurt each other."

"Maybe. I don't know. I didn't think about it until today. But, I was hurt. It never occurred to me that maybe I made it sound frivolous and fun and not like...it was really him I wanted."

"Did she tell you what I said?"

"Yeah, some of it, but I know what she heard. She heard you wanted to try. You wanted to give it a shot and try to make it work with her because you felt she was the one. That...didn't make sense to her, Booth. She said you wanted to believe she was the one, but your words told her you weren't sure. "

"Like Hodgins didn't understand what - "

" - I wasn't clear with him either." Angela sighs, "I know that now. I sauntered out of Sweets office with a get out of celibacy free card, and I was scared. So I chose being safe, hedging by bets, assuming he'd understand and if he didn't want me..."

Booth reaches out and touches her arm.

"I understand."

"She thinks it's all her fault Booth, that she should have risked everything, even if she wasn't sure she could love you the way you deserved, even if you ended up hating her like Peter, or Michael, or -"

"Angela, maybe it's no one's fault. Maybe it's just all ...mis-communication."

"Of the worst kind."

"Da, da, da, da da."

Angela rolls her eyes, "Close Encounters, Booth? Really?"

Despite her annoyed tone a small smile crosses her lips.

"The idea of a relationship working out probably did feel alien to her. Every one she's loved left her, and she blames herself, even at 15, she wondered what she did wrong, all the things people have said about her, myself included sometimes. 'She's unfeeling. She needs to open up more, risk more', how could she ever -"

"Know she was enough."

Angela lets the tears fall without bothering to wipe at them.

"You know, Bren..she feels the way she thinks - extraordinarily. It's like everything for her is more...a touch can feel like a slap, a sound a scream, sadness is despair...She just boxes it away deep inside so life isn't so loud. Buries her reactions so deep she rarely knows they're there. I think because if she let things hit her directly it's so overwhelming that it terrifies her."

"How, how do you know that - I mean about touch and sound being...amplified?"

"She's my best friend, Seeley."

"I know. It just - "

"Actually, the only reason I know is because Brennan and I have had so many conversations about sex and - "

"NEVERMIND."

Angela smirks.

"I'm being serious Booth. We were talking about it and she said it's the only times she can let sensations -"

"Angela, please."

She paused, Booth doesn't just look uncomfortable, he looks...like he's in physical pain.

"Booth?"

"Angela...if she feels things more...the accident..."

Angela takes Booth hand then. 'Yeah. I know."

The two stare at each other, reflecting each others love for Brennan in the mutual fear and sadness for their friend.

Finally, Angela let's go of his hand.

"Booth."

"Yeah."

"Hannah. "

Booth blinks, "She's away." He doesn't get why Angela is even mentioning her. He watches her eyes go stormy.

"Booth, if this is all just about guilt then you shouldn't go see Brennan, she doesn't -"

Booth gives her a half smile as realization dawns.

"Telling her it's over can wait until she gets back, Angela. The only thing that matters is Bones."

"Is it over, Booth?"

"Yeah. Whatever it was is definitely over."

He doesn't like thinking about this. In knowing he'd used Hannah. He hadn't thought he was, he didn't set out to do so, but he had. She had, in fact, been the conciliation prize he'd told Bones Hannah was not. He sighs. One more thing on his "need to be forgiven for" list.

"What was that for?"

For moment Booth forgot Angela was still there.

"You believe in God, right?"

Angela nods, "The world has too much beauty in it for there not to be something having a hand in it all."

"Do you think He'll forgive me?"

Angela tears up a little (damn hormones) and takes Booth's hand into both of hers.

"Being that I forgive you, I doubt God will have a problem with it."

There's a pause, and then both of them chuckle as Angela gives him a hug.

"We should probably head back, Booth. I think they'll let us see her soon."

"Yeah, you're right."

The two get up to leave. Angela takes a final look at the cross and closes her eyes a moment. She looks up at Booth.

"Brennan would laugh if she knew we where praying for her."

Booth smiles thoughtfully.

"No. I don't think she would...she'd say we were doing it to help us feel better."

Angela raises an eyebrow at that, but doesn't question his reply. Booth puts his arm around her and they head back to the waiting room.

Last edited by joybrennan on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RubyRuby
Administrator
RubyRuby

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Nice, Joy. VERY NICE Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
geraghtyvl
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
geraghtyvl

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Very good Joy..Please update sooner than later!
Back to top Go down
krusty1489
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist
krusty1489

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 1:18 pm

amazing more please
Back to top Go down
joybrennan
joybrennan

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Chapter Seven
The Space Between

You cannot quit me so quickly
Is no hope in you for me
No corner you could squeeze me
But I got all the time for you, love
The Space Between
The tears we cry
Is the laughter keeps us coming back for more
The Space Between
The wicked lies we tell
And hope to keep us safe from the pain

But will I hold you again?

- The Dave Matthews Band

Their timing coming back is perfect. Cam, Jack and Sweets barely have time to react to the duo walking in together before the doctor appears in the entrance behind them. Cam immediately gets up and walks towards him, "Dr. Meyers."

"Dr. Saroyan." His eyes scan the little group surrounding him. "We have her stabilized and settled in. Now, we have a waiting game for the next -"

"Can we see her now?" Angela blurts

"- few days." The doctor nods at Angela. "Yes, but only two people in the room at a time. "Also," he looks at Hodgins and Booth, "which of you is Seeley Booth?"

"I am, why?" Seeley feels all eyes shift to him. He can feel his cheeks turning red, less because of the attention, more because he's suddenly remembered what fact the doctor is going to say.

"You're listed as her medical proxy. In the event that -"

"I know!"

He doesn't mean to shout, but the last thing he wants to think about is Bones not waking up.

"I know. Can we just see her now?"

"Yes, who would you like to go first?"

The irony of the situation isn't lost on him.

"Angela and Hodgins." he mutters.

"Booth, no, you should -"

"You're her best friend, Angela. Besides," he tries to smile, "Maybe you can put in a good word for me?"

Angela swallows hard and squeezes his hand.

"Yes. I'll let her know."

Hodgins smiles and places an arm around his wife while Cam looks relieved and Sweets contemplative.

"The visits will need to be short."

Booth nods, knowing once he's in with her they'll have to kill him to take him out of her room.

As soon as the doctor has escorted the couple out of sight, Cam turns to Booth.

"So, should I start working on administration now about you staying overnight?"

She says it with a smile and an arch of her brow, but Booth is too lost in his own thoughts to appreciate her humor. He answers distractedly.

"No, it can wait until after you've seen her."

Cam and Sweets exchange a glance. Sweets opens his mouth, but after a silent admonishment from Cam quickly shuts it.

"Were you able to get a hold of Max?"

"Yeah. Russ was home."

Cam nods.

"I guess Max will want to see him also."

"Yeah....Russ, too."

Sweets can't keep silent anymore.

"It seems you and Ms. Montenegro have developed a peaceful accord."

"Using fancy words doesn't change the fact that you're twelve, Sweets."

Cam stifles a laugh.

"It is nice to see Angela isn't trying to scratch your eyes out."

"Yeah..." He smiles gratefully at Cam. "I'm glad Bones has her - has had all of you while -"

Cam cuts him off, "It's not important now. Like Sweets said." She shoots Sweets a quick glare, "The most important thing right now is Dr. Brennan."

Sweets nods sagely, "Oh, absolutely."

A sudden disturbance at the nurses station derails further conversation,

"I don't give a damn about hospital policy! My daughter is in this hospital and you had better start telling me where!

Cam and Booth look at each other and say at the same time:

"Max."

The two hastily make their way to the nurses station. Booth calls out to him.

"Max!"

The older man turns and Booth balks at the absolute terror in Max's eyes as he rushes towards him.

"Booth, where's Tempe! How is she? What - "

"She's alive, Max."

Max grabs Booth's arm, "You're supposed to protect her, Booth! What the hell happened!"

Cam realizes Booth's silence has to do with his own sense of guilt, and answers Max calmly - but quickly.

"She on her way into work when her car was hit by a drunk driver."

The weight of Cam's words seem to sink Max into a slump. He lets go of Booth's arm. For the first time it occurs to Booth that if Max had lived a normal man's life, he would have been collecting social security already.

"You said she's alive...but it's bad, isn't it."

The two men look at each other, and Max sees the answer on Booth's face before Booth says a word.

"She's considered to be in critical but stable condition, Max. She made it through the initial surgeries, and is in the intensive care unit.

Cam's calm, caring voice drains even more strength from Max. Booth finds himself putting his arms around him.

"Bones is gonna make it, Max. She's a fighter and stubborn - just like her dad."

Booth feels Max hug him back and realizes the man is crying. So, he keeps his arms around him, "She's gonna get through it, Max, she's gonna pull through."

He feels Max nod against his shoulder before pulling away. Neither of them acknowledge the dampness on Booth's shirt or the Max's too bright eyes.

"Why don't we go back to the waiting room and then you and Max can see Dr. Brennan when Angela and Hodgins come back."

It sounds reasonable, but Booth's heart pounds in his chest. Go see Bones with Max?

"Max will know," he thinks, "because he will feel it. Every betrayal, every slight and hurt to Bones will radiate off me and he will know that he should kill me instead of hug me, know that I am not worthy to be in the same room with her."

However, he doesn't voice his fears. Instead he nods slowly and tries to smile. He feels Camille touch his arm, and realizes she does know his fear. She keeps her hand on his arm all the way back to the waiting room.

Once there Max sits slowly, shoulders hunched, head down. Booth doesn't want to sit and wanders the room until he finally situates himself leaning against a wall, staring at, but not watching, the large TV built high up into the wall opposite him.

With a few minutes a nurse has escorted Angela and Hodgins back to the waiting room. Hodgins has an arm around her shoulders, almost as if he's holding her up. Cam thinks perhaps he is. The tearful hysteria is gone now, instead there is a numbness to her grief. She is ususally so passionate, even when upset or sad, but now she is flat, still, even though her eyes show she's been crying. She sees Booth and suddenly pulls away from Hodgins and strides towards him. Cam steps forward to block the other woman from attacking, but instead Angela launches herself into Booth's arms - as much as a six months pregnant can launch. Automatically, Booth's arms go around her. Angela hugs him tightly, as whispers muffled words against his chest.

"She needs you, Booth. She needs YOU. You need to tell her everything..." with that, she lifts her head up to look at him. "She needs a reason to come back."

She stares intently into his eyes until Booth nods.

"I will Ang, I will."

With that she takes a deep breath and lets go. Amazingly, Hodgins is right there, hand on her back.

"Honey, I'm taking you home."

"No."

"Dr. B wouldn't want you wearing yourself out and risking the baby."

Booth nods. "She'd never forgive herself."

The words sink in.
"Okay, Hodgie, let's go home."

"I understand there are a number of you to see her."

Booth looks over at the nurse and nods.

"Sweets, go with Max."

Sweets is startled, but the weariness in Booth's voice keeps Sweets from protest. Swallowing his fear - the man is a murderer, even if it was about protecting his family...

Booth walks Sweets over to Max.

“Max, Dr. Sweets is going to go with you to see Bones, alright.”

Max looks up slowly.

“Don’t you want to see her?”

“I will. You’re her father, you should go first.”

Max looks as if to protest, but then just sighs and stands up.

“Alright then, come on kid.”

Sweets and Max leave with the nurse and Booth sinks into Max’s seat. Cam sits next to him.

"Guess we're next."

"No. Just you Camille -"

"- Seeley -"

"I need to see her alone."

He is staring straight ahead, but Cam isn't about to let him go in by himself.

"I can't...see her alone."

"You're a doctor and a coroner -"

"Exactly."

At that he looks at her.

"I can't change my training Booth. I can't shut off what I see. It's why doctors aren't supposed to work on family - "

She didn't mean for there to be tears, but she can feel them prickling in her eyes. Booth takes her hand.

"I'll go in with you,"

Cam wipes a few tears from her cheek.

"I always knew, you know."

"Knew what?"

"That you and Dr. Brennan had this spark, this connection that couldn't be broken."

"Until I did."

Despite her own mixed feelings on the matter, Cam cringes at the self loathing in his voice. She can guess how Seeley has ended up with Hannah - the man has never understood that just because the sex is good, it doesn't necessarily mean that those two people are falling in love. As for the rest of it, well he and Dr. Brennan could address that when Dr. Brennan made it through this physical crisis.

"Booth, you stretched your connection pretty far, but, if you had broken it, you wouldn't be here now."

Booth is grateful for Camille's words - stretched, but not broken. He could work with that. Hopefully stretched like a rubber band and not like the elastic in his swim trunks that always seemed to wear out so that they'd slide down his hips when swimming.

Cam feels the squeeze of Booth's hand and returns it. It's not something she thinks about often, Seeley's hands. Her friend was definitely good in bed. She wonders if it's odd to hope Temperance Brennan gets the chance to experience the talents she'd once enjoyed. She sighs. Weird or not, she sends a silent prayer that Brennan survives this, not just for all that she gives to the world, but to experience being Seeley's partner in every sense of the word. Cam, unlike Seeley, knows the difference between sex with care and making love. She and Seeley had never been in love, and she'd known it. However, she did know him, the way long time friends do. The loyalty Seeley had shown Dr. Brennan had clued Cam in that there had to be something special about the woman. As for Dr. Brennan, it didn't take long to see that while the world saw her as the brilliant, world renowned, forensic anthropologist, Seeley Booth was the center of Dr. Brennan's world. Ironically, Dr. Brennan seemed unaware that he was. He just was. Now, if she could just make it through this, maybe they'd both get the chance be what they always should have been.

Lost in thought, neither of them notice when Sweets and Max return.

Max is being held up between Sweets and the nurse. As they ease the man into a chair Booth is startled by the noise. looks up and is alarmed by the heavy breathing and pale face of Max.

"What's wrong with Max?"

"He, uh, kind of lost it in there. They gave him a sedative. "

Cam had glanced up right after Booth, and gives Booth a worried look. Booth swallows hard and then gets up and walks over to Max.

"She's going to be fine, Max. Things aren't as bad as they look."

"You haven't seen her."

Max's words are quiet and flat. Booth has never seen him look so defeated. He takes the man's hand.

"I don't have to see her, I know Bones, and I know she WILL make it through. Don't you dare give up on her, you understand?"

It's clear the sedative is taking effect as Max nods slowly.

Booth straightens up and turns to Cam. His eyes are dark and determined.

"Let's go."

Last edited by joybrennan on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
geraghtyvl
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
geraghtyvl

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 5:07 pm

This is good Joy. Please update quickly! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bonesfan158
Assistant
Assistant
bonesfan158

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Your chapters are numbered 6 then 8. Are they numbered incorrectly or did one not post?
Back to top Go down
joybrennan
joybrennan

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 10:23 pm

bonesfan158 wrote:
Your chapters are numbered 6 then 8. Are they numbered incorrectly or did one not post?
Nope it should be seven, I'm working on eight now so I must have just had eight on the brain. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RubyRuby
Administrator
RubyRuby

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 6:34 pm

Awesome update, Joy!
Back to top Go down
krusty1489
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist
krusty1489

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 7:46 pm

more plz Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Skeleton in the Closet    The Skeleton in the Closet  Empty

Back to top Go down

The Skeleton in the Closet
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next