The Founding Fathers
Welcome to The Founding Fathers. New member accounts will be activated within 24 hours after approval by the forum administrators.

A home for all Bones fans

HomeHome  Portal*Portal*  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Beliskner
Forensic Anthropologist
Forensic Anthropologist
Beliskner

Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves Empty
PostSubject: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Gracefully stolen this topic from Bonesology forum, credit goes to Biba79, but since a lot of people are here as well and maybe not on the other forums I feel the need to post it anyway.

I also have the feeling that compared with last year the quality of the fanfiction on FF.net is not what it used to be, it may be personal, but a lot of tiny things can annoy me when I read a summary, when that happens I just skip the story entirely. And ofc we have the stuff inside the stories that can annoy us readers.

Feel free to add your own list, copy mine, add your own, this is NOT a guide for how writers should write, your stories are still your own, but I have the feeling that a lot of people might feel the same and never speak up.

1. Misspelled character names, make me think that the writer does not read other fics or watch the show at all, It's SEELEY, not sealey or Seley or even Seelay etcetc

2. Authors Note as a chapter, Yay an update, only to be dissapointed by a note, getting all exited for nothing...

3. Writers writing: ''I suck at summaries'' in the summary, makes me think you probably suck a writing as well.

4. Writers begging for reviews or they won't post the new chapter..

5. When I open a fanfic link and see BOOTH: blablabla BRENNAN: blablabla this will make me hit the ''back'' button straight away

6. When people invent a dozen of middle names for characters

7. Episode dialogue, I understand that for some reasons you can't go around it, but I sometimes see a One Shot that consists of 95% dialogue from the episode and the writer added a few sentences

8. I'm sure Brennan can make other dishes, because if was up the the FF writers BB would eat Mac and Cheese or Grilled cheese every day Razz

Booth does NOT call Brennan: Tempe or Temperance (unless he's introducing her), lets see if season 7 changes that, I hope not.

Brennan does NOT call Booth, Seeley...
Back to top Go down
Ziggy
Special Agent
Special Agent
Ziggy

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 11:10 pm

LOL the mac and cheese thing. Hahaha why can't people get over that!?

Here are my pet peeves:
-Seeley & Temperance... I hate stories that refer to Booth and Brennan like this. I really hate it when they have B&B get together... and then have them both start calling one another by their first names. It just seems so unnatural. I don't mind one "Temperance" being thrown out here and there... but...eh.

-Sarcastic Brennan... I know she was sarcastic in the first couple episodes. I know. But the first couple episodes of a show are always when the writers are kind of finding their footing. Later on I believe she declares "I don't do that" in reference to sarcasm and that she thinks "its never helpful".

-Badly written children... I hate it when writers add kids to stories and make them talk like buffoons. I guess they think its cutesy... but really its just annoying and sounds ridiculous.

EDIT (I wanted to add another)

Characters referring to other characters incorrectly... Such as...
Hodgins only calls Brennan: Dr. Brennan or Dr. B. He never just says Brennan to her face.
Cam only calls Brennan: Dr. Brennan to her face. Occasionally Brennan to someone else.
Angela does not call Brennan, "Temperance". Or Tempe. It's Bren or Brennan or Sweetie.
The only character to call Booth "Seeley" is Cam. And she doesn't do it often.
Hannah calls Booth "Seeley". Not Booth.
Back to top Go down
bonesfan158
Assistant
Assistant
bonesfan158

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 7:26 am

I agree with all the above and want to add:

Proper names are capitalized. This drives me crazy when they are not.

Use of contractions:

your and you're---please use them correctly. Is this your book? You're going to be late.

Also there, their and they're.

Please run spell check before you post.
Back to top Go down
mereva
Administrator
mereva

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 7:39 am

Ooooooooh, yes!!! I agree vehemently. "Your" and "you're" used wrong drive me crazy! Argh.

madrean
Squintern
Squintern

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 11:11 am

Maybe just me....

I stop reading any story that Brennan all of the sudden can voice any and all feelings she possess.

Example: I love you, Booth and always have. I was just scared of you not returning my love so I ran but now I know that life without you is empty. I was a slut bucket before you but those thousands of unnecessary men meant nothing to me. I want to marry you and have tons of babies because love is everything that makes the world go round. I now love God and Jesus because you showed me the way.... let's go to church, Booth and christen all our children including me.

I know I exaggerated my example. Those stories throw me off because I can't stretch my imagination to see her saying stuff like this....but it's fanfiction for a reason, someone wishes Brennan actually was that way.

I also can't read story when Booth or Brennan have died for some reason....it's just too much!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 11:43 am

My two biggest pet peeves

1) B&B calling each other Tempe, Temperance, Seeley, Honey, Baby ---> especially BABY, or any other "cutesy" pet names.

2) Any ridiculous over the top declaration of love, thoughts or feelings. B&B have always been about subtly and I can't imagine that changing anytime soon.

I guess when it comes down to it, (even if the concept behind the story is a good one), if the characters aren't portrayed correctly....I can't read it.
Back to top Go down
Number 8
Assistant
Assistant

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 9:07 pm

1.)When Brennan falls to floor and weeps for booths forgiveness/ gives cheesy love speech

2.) They get married (idk put me in the minority but it just dosen't feel right to me)
Back to top Go down
jro54
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
jro54

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 10:41 pm

I'm very picky about the fanfiction I read...

1) Calling each other Temperance/Seeley.

2) When they turn into a total soap-opera, lovey dovey couple. I'm okay with them getting together. I'm okay with them getting married. I just like stories that are more on their dynamic that they have had for the last 6 years and solving murders...instead of stories all about their relationship and their family together...because I haven't really thought about what it would be like to actually see B/B together and I can't really picture them like that.
Back to top Go down
SnoopGirl
Forensic Anthropologist
Forensic Anthropologist
SnoopGirl

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 11:18 pm

These ones I try and avoid but frustrating when I have opened it and started reading unhappy
Quote :
7. Episode dialogue, I understand that for some reasons you can't go around it, but I sometimes see a One Shot that consists of 95% dialogue from the episode and the writer added a few sentences
Back to top Go down
joybrennan
joybrennan

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 12:02 am

madrean wrote:
Maybe just me....

I stop reading any story that Brennan all of the sudden can voice any and all feelings she possess.

Example: I love you, Booth and always have. I was just scared of you not returning my love so I ran but now I know that life without you is empty. I was a slut bucket before you but those thousands of unnecessary men meant nothing to me. I want to marry you and have tons of babies because love is everything that makes the world go round. I now love God and Jesus because you showed me the way.... let's go to church, Booth and christen all our children including me.
laughing2 ^ I know!
In terms of Brennan being able to articulate he feelings: the key for me is ALL OF A SUDDEN. The times when Brennan has been able to articulate her feelings have always come after several different people have talked to her about it and different events have occurred for her to process. It certainly never is just in the moment...or even the day. Razz
Quote :

I know I exaggerated my example.
Not by much Razz

Okay, Brennan calling Booth Seeley, or Baby, honey, etc. He is Booth to her, he does "Boothy" things"

Season five opened the door to Booth OCCASIONALLY, calling Brennan "Baby" - but only in serious/ traumatic moments (like when she's been stabbed) Likewise with Temperence. I think the finale in season one showed that in serious/tender moments it's possible he thinks of her as Temperence. TEMPE is just NO.

Brennan as Donna Reed, Booth as Father Knows Best.

Brennan telling jokes. Until season six this was NOT Brennan.

The other Booth extreme: Yes, Bones, whatever you say Bones, because I love you so much". WHAT? Doormat behavior on either side - not okay.

Booth as abusive to Parker in any way shape or form. I'd been reading one for a while when this occurred. That ended that.

Booth as physically abusive with Brennan.

The whole marriage, big wedding, long honeymoon, then baby thing.

It's not that I'm against a baby storyline, or an eventual marriage storyline, just show me how you GOT there Even so, when Brennan is all excited about planning a wedding? Shocked That's not Brennan, it's some writer living out their OWN dream wedding. Razz

There is ONE story I like where Brennan does get involved with a child and becomes a "mommy" and becomes open to marriage. She gets involved with an abused foster child. The premise was believable, thus the changes in Brennan work. I love this author because she's dead set against the idea of Brennan trying. For a baby of her own.

Rape stories.

I also hate the begging for reviews. I thank people if they do, or if they're a lot I'll do a thank-you as part of a story posting.

Discussing individual reviews in a story posting. That's what PM's are for.

Yeah, the lifting of entire scenes from the show. It's fan-fiction. If someone's reading the story, they don't need a repeat of the events.

Back to top Go down
SnoopGirl
Forensic Anthropologist
Forensic Anthropologist
SnoopGirl

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 8:40 pm

jro54 wrote:
I'm very picky about the fanfiction I read...

1) Calling each other Temperance/Seeley.

2) When they turn into a total soap-opera, lovey dovey couple. I'm okay with them getting together. I'm okay with them getting married. I just like stories that are more on their dynamic that they have had for the last 6 years and solving murders...instead of stories all about their relationship and their family together...because I haven't really thought about what it would be like to actually see B/B together and I can't really picture them like that.

I did that in my stories because I hated when "Bones" and "Booth" were used between Temperance and Seeley on the show. The names grew on me over the seasons but when I wrote my stories, I just couldn't write them in.
Back to top Go down
ReginaPhalange
Special Agent
Special Agent
ReginaPhalange

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:34 pm

joybrennan wrote:

The other Booth extreme: Yes, Bones, whatever you say Bones, because I love you so much". WHAT? Doormat behavior on either side - not okay.

Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves 565459

Also, a lot is TWO words, not one. Alot is NOT A WORD. Whew - sorry. I had to get it off my chest. I have a degree in English... it drives me crazy, you know?

Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves 1608911305

Otherwise, I agree with what others have said. The best stories are the ones where the authors stay true to the characters as they are portrayed on the show. I'm okay with Brennan coming around to the idea of marriage or Booth giving up the idea of marriage if it occurs naturally and realistically within the story. Turning essential elements of a character's personality around right away makes no sense whatsoever.

And, maybe I'm in a minority, but I don't like case-heavy fanfic stories. I like ones that mostly revolve around B&B's interactions. If you build a huge case with a lot of secondary characters, 9 times out of 10, I'm not going to be interested.
Back to top Go down
dukefan2010
Administrator
dukefan2010

Location : At the intersection of my inbox is out of control and I haven’t had a day off since 3rd grade!

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:05 am

The ones that Beg for reviews, if i like it i'll write something or thoes that hold chapters untill they get x amount of reviews

Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist
Bluestocking Inc

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 3:34 am

When BB are pregnant after one night.

Booth and Brennan being lovey dovey while at a crime scene. not funny

Hannah comes back and is a total conniving witch. I don't like her, but I don't think she'd scheme to steal Booth from his pregnant girlfriend.

Parker has no questions when Booth and Brennan explain that they are together, getting married, and having a baby in a two minute conversation.

Booth has no emotional baggage at all! Never mind that he's had a father that abused him and his mother, two marriage proposals refused, and one relationship proposal refused from the same woman he's now in a relationship with. This boy's fine, and totally ready to propose again WITH NO DISCUSSION OF ANY OF THIS WITH ANYONE.

This isn't something any writer can fix, but I hate everything BB name their baby. Christine, Cecelia, Tesla. It doesn't matter, as soon as it's been given to the kid, I hate it. Nothing sounds right to me.

Back to top Go down
DDC
Squintern
Squintern

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 7:02 pm

I agree about the requests for reviews.

What bugs me the most is bad grammar, especially incorrect use of their/there/they're; too/to; past/passed; its/it's; etc. and too long paragraphs. Another pet peeve is ff writers having the Bones characters use teen slang &/or describe them wearing clothes that no one the age of the Bones characters would wear. In fact, too many writers, IMO, go into too much detail about clothes; just tell me Booth's wearing a tux, I don't need it described.
Back to top Go down
dukefan2010
Administrator
dukefan2010

Location : At the intersection of my inbox is out of control and I haven’t had a day off since 3rd grade!

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 12:26 am

The stories on FF that say I suck at summaries, really how hard is it to tell what your story is about? You should have a basic idea before you start writing it!

Special Agent
Special Agent
MorWeb

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 2:28 pm

SnoopGirl wrote:
These ones I try and avoid but frustrating when I have opened it and started reading Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves 934128
Quote :

This is SO annoying. Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves 934128 Even worse - when the writer gets the dialogue WRONG. affraid I've seen passages that are from episodes that we all might think we know the dialogue by heart to, and the FF writer obviously didn't double check their memory bank against a transcript or a fan site that has all of the episode dialogue. Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves 320203 At that point I don't care how far into the story I'm invested I can't read further. No If the writer doesn't care enough to verify the basics can I really trust that person to actually finish the story?! Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves 741418

Oh - that's my other pet peeve...writing, and having me read 15/16-20 chapters, the story is at an excellent point where it can be wound down, and resolved, and the writer never comes back and finishes it! Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves 526902 Ugh! Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves 686163 This is why I haven't posted a story - I want to have one completely finished before I start posting. Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves 50306 There is no way I could ask people to join me on a journey, and then leave them in the middle of a story-ocean. Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves 307313 Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves 898963
Back to top Go down
Boothsbabe
Squintern
Squintern
Boothsbabe

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Someone said rape stories....I can tolerate them, but only if done right. I hate it when writers fall into the trap of not making the characters' emotions and the healing process believable. It's not hard to research and find out the facts...I've read some great stores like this in other fandoms.

I also hate it when there's no slash warning on the summary. I'm not big on slash, just not my cuppa. Warnings are a generally good idea, just so you know what to expect.

Back to top Go down
MoxieGirl
Assistant
Assistant
MoxieGirl

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 11:55 pm

Violence or angry intimacy between Brennan and Booth, I find disturbing. That is, of course, my preference. Others may feel differently ...

Last edited by MoxieGirl on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dukefan2010
Administrator
dukefan2010

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:11 pm

When people refer to Brennan as ‘Bones’ when Booth isn’t speaking to her, Bones is Booth’s nickname for Brennan so he and Parker should be the only ones to use it.

Assistant
Assistant
bonesfan158

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 1:11 pm

My pet peeves 1) grammar--especially your and you're. AND probably my biggest if you are a fan of Bones please spell the characters names correctly. Bones' name is Brennan, not Brennen. Booth is Seeley not Seely or Sealy. Jack is Hodgins not Hodgens.

Also if you are writing dialogue, write it correctly.

Spell check people--spell check
Back to top Go down
mereva
Administrator
mereva

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 3:11 pm

bonesfan158 wrote:
My pet peeves 1) grammar--especially your and you're.
pullbanghead :mad: nono
Quote :
AND probably my biggest if you are a fan of Bones please spell the characters names correctly. Bones' name is Brennan, not Brennen. Booth is Seeley not Seely or Sealy. Jack is Hodgins not Hodgens.
Add Wendell to the list - he's NOT Wendall!!!! furious

Beliskner
Forensic Anthropologist
Forensic Anthropologist
Beliskner

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 3:36 pm

bump for a sticky Razz ow might admins worship
Back to top Go down
dukefan2010
Administrator
dukefan2010

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 12:07 am

mereva wrote:

Add Wendell to the list - he's NOT Wendall!!!! furious
lol ;)

Administrator
mereva

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 9:44 am

banghead Just read another FF. DAMN!!! The name is Hodgins! HODGINS!!!!!!! Argh! evilflame angry

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves   Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves Empty

Back to top Go down

Bones Fanfiction Pet Peeves
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Founding Fathers :: Fanfiction-
Jump to: